Monday, August 8, 2011

Sometimes second best will have to do: Kolo Mee in KL

Guess what I found in Bangsar's Lucky Garden coffee shop?




I knew I was set up for a fall after the real thing in Kuching. The noodles had bite, though the original Sarawakian one has way more. This "basic" version was also more elaborate with vegetables, fish cakes and minced pork - Kuching only has char siew. I'll give them points for effort - there was some garlicky lardy goodness in the accompanying sauce.

Obviously not crazy good like the first time. I've been royally spoilt.

Thank you friend CM for being so gung ho in wanting to try this dish I've been going on about! A small portion is RM4.50. 


Nam Chuan Coffee Shop
Lorong Ara Kiri, Lucky Garden, Bangsar, 59100 Kuala Lumpur 


View Larger Map

12 comments:

Baby Sumo said...

Hopefully you can find a version good enough to match the one you had in Kuching!

Sean said...

ahh, i've heard about this one, but i haven't tried it yet. y'know, if you're willing to travel a bit further in your quest for the holy grail of hallowed kolok mee, i've heard raves in recent years about a stall at a coffee shop in bandar kinrara (of puchong fame) :D

Mr Noodles said...

I'm so envious of your posts on Kolo Mee! I've never tried these before but I really want to check them out.

The Sudden Cook said...

I've heard so much about this dish!! Must try the next time in Kuching.

Hungry Female said...

Puchong - I might as well fly back to Kuching LOL! Thanks for the tip though, I'm slowly compiling a list of Kolo Mee places in KL. All noted with glee!

elaine @Gifted Moments said...

Hungry Female.. you are making me hungry! I'm suppose to be in bed now. Hahaha :)

Hungry Female said...

Mr Noodles, Sudden Cook - they are one of two noodle dishes you MUST try when in Sarawak! The other being Sarawak Laksa of course:)

Elaine - happy that I've inspired hunger in you!

JRmy said...

Sure would love to try this out.

Hungry Female said...

Quirky - you must, your whole world just changes when you do:)

Sir Rosewood said...

I've always been a Sarawak Mee Kolok No.1 fan. I've tried the one at this Hock Thai Restaurant (SS2/103, PJ) and to me that's the most authentic one I've had so far. Been hunting here and there for Mee Kolok...this one my friends, is the best so far...(I'm Kuching-born BTW). You ought to give it a go on this one. Trust me, you'll repeat your visit. Cheers

Hungry Female said...

Yes Sir! Thanks for the tip, I'll defo check it out when I'm back in KL over CNY and report back:)

Hungry Female said...

Yes Sir! Thanks for the tip, I'll defo check it out when I'm back in KL over CNY and report back:)