Wednesday, August 31, 2011

I Am Hungry





As of next week I'll be starting an exciting new chapter in my life: I'll be starting an immersion course to learn Mandarin at the Beijing Language Cultural University. It's something I've wanted to do for a while and have waited to do, and now that it's come round I feel a mixture of excitement and anxiety.

Why Mandarin and China? Well, it's really about time I learnt the language of my heritage and let's face it, the language of the future (and arguably even the present). Albeit issues around human rights, their aggressive position in the world economy and what it holds for the rest of the world, it's an interesting time to be in China and in Asia. I've got so much to get my head around.

Of course what I'm very much looking forward to is all the UH-MAZING food. I sincerely hope you follow me in my journey to sample the culinary treasures of the Middle Kingdom, I don't think this is going to be a boring ride! I expect to make lots of mistakes whilst grappling with the language and tackling the almighty all-Chinese menu so wish me luck!

A special note to my Malaysian friends, readers and fellow bloggers: I've had the most wonderful time hearing from you, meeting some of you and sharing in our common passion. I'll miss my comfort foods and expect to live through you during my time in China!


*Additional Note posted 1.9.2011* I understand that blogspot may be blocked in China - till I get this sorted out please don't stop following me! I'll find a way to communicate!


Image from orbitchinese.com

8 comments:

Baby Sumo said...

Good luck in your journey in China. :)

Mr Noodles said...

Good for you! I did some Mandarin lessons a few years ago, but to be honest, only basic/tourist/food vocab has stuck. Mainly food actually! The other problem I had was how Cantonese kept creeping into my Mandarin pronunciation. But anyway, immersion is the way to go and Beijing is a great city. Best of luck!

PS: There's some posts on Beijing on my blog.

Hungry Female said...

Yen, thank you! I'll be relying on you to post about exciting eating places in KL and homecooked recipes!

Mr Noodles, I've seen those posts! Am also really looking forward to visiting HK so will be looking out for your tips too:)

Sean said...

Wowsers, all the best for what is sure to be a fascinating experience! I can't speak more than 20 words of mandarin, so this sounds like the adventure of a lifetime. But you didn't mention how long the course will last :D

Anonymous said...

How exciting! Best of luck with it, and I look forward very much to reading about all the delicious Chinese food you come across.

Hungry Female said...

Sean, I'll be there till January and very much hoping I'll come back with more than 20 words! In the mean time please stay in touch!

Kake, aha I see you're learning Chinese characters through dim sum dishes! Great idea. One of my motivations is definitely going to be learning through menus, ordering, food shopping etc. Will probably need some tips from you:)

The PvdH Journal said...

It's my first time in your blog but from the few posts that I just read it seems like you are a very interesting person. I hope that we will get to see pictures of your adventures in China (culinary and all!).

I had a friend a few years back who still managed to have a blog.... fingers crossed

PvdH

www.ThePvdHJournal.com

Hungry Female said...

PVDH, thank you!